Thursday, April 19, 2007

Post 8

This post is in response to Sarah Justinger's post on "Grizzly Man". This is what was written in her fourth point regarding Treadwell's religious affiliation with bears:

"While browsing the Wikipedia article on Timothy Treadwell, I found evidence that confirmed my stipulations that his passion for bears really was functioning as religion in his life. The article claims, 'Treadwell attributed his recovery from drug and alcohol addictions entirely to his relationship with bears.' This confirms notions of his grizzly religion because it really is a statement of a superhuman controlling power in his life. He actually felt that the bears had power in his life in this way as well as how he made himself vulnerable to the bears."

I strongly disagree with both the arguments that Wikipedia and Sarah make. Sarah's other points are sound, and I have few conflictin views with them. However, can we really say that his religion (Treadwell's relationship with bears) was what caused him to recover from drug and alcohol addictions? Many people are confronted with the harsh reality of an addiction, but I don't what saves them is their religious plight. Addicts often need someone to talk to and something to keep their mind off of what their doing. But, that sure doesn't make a case for religion. Maybe the bears were just animals that he was happy being around. Or an even more plausible theory is that he was constantly scared shitless, so their was no opportunity for him to think about wanting drugs.

I could agree with Treadwell's recovery being spiritual. Obviously there are varying definitions of "spiritual" and "religion", so let me clarify what mine are. Spirituality, to me, involves self discovery and an outlook that involves an attitude that is based off the mind and intellect. Religion, though it may incorporate spirituality, is a set of beliefs and rules that cause the religious to find harmony in every thing they do. I guess it's just hard for me to believe that Treadwell formed his own religion from his experience from the bears and rose out of his addictions. I mean, after all, Treadwell still seemed pretty messed up to me.

No comments: