Thursday, May 17, 2007

Post 17

Since I have yet to discuss the meditation in class I am going to formulate some idea of the purpose I think it serves. Previously to the meditation last Friday in class, I've meditated once. This meditation took place at a Theravada Buddhist Temple in Hinsdale, Illinois. I was roughly 14 or 15 on a "youth group" (protestant church group for youths) with a small number of kids my own age or slightly older. Sadly, I felt nothing during the meditation. However, as a result I did gain more respect for those who can honestly find spiritual contentment though it. Granted, I only seriously meditated once, so there is a chance I could learn.

The experience in class was similar. I felt nothing more than a severe lack of sleep and thankfulness for twenty minutes to freely close my eyes. It was odd. Like I'm sure every one else did once or twice, I looked around the room at my fellow peers to see what they were getting out of it. There were obviously some like me, some who were reading or listening to music, and some that actually felt something spiritual. I think that's how religion works. The Quakers feel that that's their most appropriate means for spirituality, and most Christians don't. But, I do think everyone can take something from meditation. At most church services I have been to, the minister or priest will call a time for "joys and concerns". Following the announcing of each joy or concern the church sits in silence to thank god or ask god for help. So I do think there is some universal acceptance of meditation, or silence, among most or all religions.

1 comment:

slumberjack said...

These comments may be out of turn (since this appears to be for a class assignment) but if this subject is of legitimate personal interest as well and would welcome discussion, or if it is simply an academic pursuit and is “encouraged” to welcome discussion. If it is the former, I’ll check back.

Thanks for reading.